Dry as a Bone

For the past few days now I've had a pretty low key headache.  Not enough to put me down, but enough to be an annoyance.  Man, I hate the first week of drying out/detoxing.  The urge to go downstairs and grab one of my bottles of scotch, or bourbon just to make the headache go away is pretty strong, but my determination cannot be shaken so easily.

What exactly is it I'm talking about?

Right, guess I should lead off with what I am actually doing.  At the beginning of the year I was thinking about drying out to see if it helped me with my goals.  I didn't start off right away, but after a couple of workouts, and a couple of skipped workouts, as a result of drinking I decided that drying out was the way to go.  It's been just over a week, and I can already feel it.  My workouts generally feel better, and I feel as if I'm recovering faster.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not telling you what to do.  This is just my personal experiences with the drink, and how it affects me.  I know a lot of people can down several drinks, and wake up first thing ready to workout.  As a matter of fact I did this very thing in college.  These days, though, my body doesn't really recover that well, and a few drinks will kick my ass.  This was the basis of my decision, and so far I think it's working out pretty well.

The plan is also not to cut out drinking from my life entirely, but instead to detox for about 3 months, and then go to what I really want; a small glass of scotch or bourbon now and then.  Just like I'm doing with fast food it will be a temporary elimination followed by a regulated return to modicum.


Something else I've done this year is I created a spreadsheet to track my goals.  It's a pretty simple spreadsheet using some IF statements with check boxes that I can easily go in, check something off, and it'll immediately update the corresponding cell to tell me if the goal has been met.  I went ahead and checked off the "Eat out less..." goal since I'm doing good there, and don't plan on messing it up.


I think I'm doing very well so far this year.  It's still early, I know, but still I'm already down below 280lbs, and the plan is to keep pushing harder.  As I get re-acclimated with cooking again my food will get healthier, my runs will get better, longer, and harder, and my lifting will get bigger.  All-in-all I'm stoked about the next couple of months.  There are going to be some noticeable changes in my physique I think.





Fitness Activities:
StrongLifts 5x5
Couch to 5K

Workout Schedule:
SL5x5 - Mon, Wed, and Fri
C25K - Tues, Fri, Sat
Hiking/Rucking - Sun

Stats:
Recorded on an Ozeri Touch ZB13 Digital Scale
279.8lbs
45.6% BF

Comments