All the Resolutions

Are dumb.


There.  I said it.  Resolutions are probably one of the worse things you can do if you want to actually make a lasting change.  They are usually incredibly generic, and at best lofty.  It's easy to sit there with a drink in your hand enjoying New Year's Eve with friends, and make a resolution to "be healthier", or "lose weight".  However, at the end of the day you're doing nothing but blowing hot air.  That being said, NYE was pretty fun, eh?


So if resolutions are dumb, what should you do?

That's easy.  Make small, maintainable lifestyle changes, and set realistic goals.  I've covered this before, but seeing as how this is the time of year where everyone wants to "be a better you" then I'll discuss it again.

You should have multiple goals that range from short term, to long term.  Short term goals should be easily attainable without much effort.  For example; a good short term goal would be to eat out less, and cook more this year.  It's a relatively easy lifestyle change for most people, and will have real results in the short, and long term.  Long term goals should require significant effort to attain, but still be realistic such as losing 50lbs this year, reducing BF% by 10%, or setting a weight lifting PR.  Let me cover my goals so I can give some better examples.

For 2017 I plan on doing the following...

Short Term Goals (to be completed within Q1):
Get back below 270lbs
Get back below 45% BF
Complete Couch to 5K...again
Eat out less, and cook more

Mid Term Goals (to be completed between Q2 and Q3):
Get back below 250lbs
Get back below 40% BF
Get back to the 750lb club
Complete a 10K

Long Term Goals (to be completed by the end of 2017):
Get below 240lbs (maybe...depends on muscle mass)
Get below 35% BF
Get to the 1000lb club (this may or may not be realistic...I need to sit down and do some Math)
Complete my second half marathon with a time better than 3 hours
Run/Walk 1000 miles this year (courtesy of ilovetorun.org)


As you can see my goals range from pretty damn easy, to "holy shit what did I get myself into??"  I believe it is very important to do this for yourself.  It gives you achievement milestones so you know that real progress is being made, and as time goes on, if you stick to your guns, the really hard stuff that you have for long term will suddenly seem not so bad.

That's it.  Set yourself goals that result in small lifestyle changes, and if you keep at it I can guarantee you'll see results in whatever you're doing.

Fitness Activities:
StrongLifts 5x5
Couch to 5K

Workout Schedule:
SL5x5 - Mon, Wed, and Fri
C25K - Tues, Fri, Sat
Hiking/Misc - Sun

Stats:
Recorded on an Ozeri Touch ZB13 Digital Scale
283.0lbs
46.2% BF

Comments