Goals; Not the Soccer Kind

Something came up recently that I wanted to talk about, and that something is goals.  As with every topic I cover here it is going to be my opinion, and thus 100% subjective.  That being said, let's get down to business.


For me goals are incredibly important.  They keep me focused, and give me something to strive for.  It's important to keep in mind that goals should require work, but still be relatively easy to attain.  This will prevent you, or in this case me, from setting the bar too high, and getting discouraged through regular failure.  A good example of this would be when I did Couch to 5K for the first time.  My only goal was to complete the training, and then to run a 5K with no time in mind.  There were several weeks, especially in the middle-to-late game that I had to repeat several times.  I did this because a secondary, more short term goal was to be able to complete all three days of intervals without failing.  This gave me a different goal to attain each week, and kept me moving forward.

Fast forward to today, and I've come up with a couple new goals.  Last year I managed to complete my first half marathon.  It took me just under four hours, and I spent a good chunk of it with debilitating charlie horses in my calves.  Now, after some hydration experimentation, and planned physician appointments I plan on taking on my second half marathon in April 2017, and I'd like to finish in 3 hours.  That's approximately 4.3 miles per hour.  I'm sure to a lot of people out there that sounds like a joke, but for me it will take all the focus, and luck I can muster over these coming months.


I know for me this is a monstrous goal.  With that in mind I plan on coming up with several shorter term goals to help keep me focused along the way.  The first of which will be to complete Couch to 5K.  I've admittedly been slacking on my running lately, but that changes this week.  Over the weekend I planned out which days I'll be running, which I'll be resting, and which will be used for lifting.  Once I get the rest of my short-to-mid term goals worked out the only thing that will stop me is myself, or a serious injury.  Here's to hoping the latter doesn't happen!

And now (since I skipped writing a blog last week) here are my progress pictures.























Fitness Activities:
StrongLifts 5x5
Couch to 5K

Stats:
Recorded on an Ozeri Touch ZB13 Digital Scale
278.0lbs
44.8% BF

Comments